Thursday, May 12, 2005

when bands attack.

as mentioned last night contained 2 events, the first being the nxne launch party which entailed some fine catering courtesy of shanghai cowgirl which entailed both mashed potatoes and grilled cheese sandwiches!

the event itself was surprisingly brief, with the edge's Dave Bookman manically listing off a bunch of events and nxne director Andy McLean handling the requisite sponsor thanking. the festival has a presenting sponsor this year, and I hope the additional revenue will help drive this thing further and further south, by south-west!

a quick run home and back out again found me at the phoenix with cheryl, where we took in the stereophonics, on the road in support of Language. Sex. Violence. Other?

now to be frank, I'm not the biggest fan of these guys in the world, but I *do* know the hits, and at least on the other side of the pond, they have quite a few.

too bad they didn't play any! choosing to focus on new and otherwise obscure material, the sold out crowd was downright antsy after an hour of relatively unknown songs, save for Dakota and a Kelly Jones solo Maybe Tomorrow in the encore.

Jones also looked positively asso-holic with a leather jacket and shades on for most of the night, and the vibe in the room was far from fantastic, despite being packed with fans.

there was even one moment of rock and roll acrimonity when Jones told the crowd to shut up, I believe (I was way far in the back) along with some threat that cold beer was awaiting them in the back if need be. the moment quickly passed and I'm not sure what exactly happened or what was said, but it wasn't cool-kinda like the whole show.

5 Comments:

Blogger T-O-M said...

What's up with...British bands that are jerks? Is it a tradition now? I mean, you have a lot of them who are understated or clever or fey with audiences and interviewers, but why do such a huge percentage take themselves so seriously? I blame NME, which I find impossible to read now... At least their website is alright - it makes me think of Cheese Strings (you make my heart sing).

1:00 PM  
Blogger YO! said...

BABY

SHAMBLES.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love people who go the fey way.

6:10 PM  
Blogger YO! said...

tina fey?

she's hot!

11:30 AM  
Blogger T-O-M said...

Yeah, but what caused that scar?

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home