Monday, May 15, 2006

Language

I've always heard about the importance of body language, but never really looked into or thought about it beyond the obvious. I mean, I'm a guy, so usually it can take like, tears or yelling for me to really figure out what's going on with people sometimes.

So I've been reading up on it, and it's such a mind fuck!

There are of course no hard and fast rules of body language, as everyone is different, but some traits are universal in terms of cues we send out. Last night at a social event I spent some time chatting with people and also observed certain forms of body language going on in the room. In one case someone who seemed to have a pretty uncomforatable 'closed' situation sure enough got up and left the table within a couple of minutes of me noticing it. I guess that was pretty obvious, but I'm not sure if I would have picked up on that as easily before.

Of course I'm no expert, and am closely taking the advice I've read that overtly 'projecting' certain types of language can come off as fake to people right away. But is interesting to be able to maybe better articulate what's going on, even if people aren't saying anything. I'm sure I'll post more observations later...

2 Comments:

Blogger T-O-M said...

*middle finger*

11:13 PM  
Blogger YO! said...

you...like me?

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home