Friday, March 26, 2010

Beef: CHOIRS

I hate choirs. In particular these 3 specific types:

School Choir



Mandatory in Grades 1-6, I remember being terrified to get my vocal inabilities
appraised by my music teacher, as even had to in an intimidating (for a 6 year-old)
'audition' singing a scale solo. Yikes. Luckily I was able to just mouth the words for
the next few years, going to annual competitions at Pantages or the Concert Hall
where my school would land its Honourable Mention (at best). By Grade 5 I figured
out that choir wasn't truly mandatory, as a the threatened other option-a 'Self-Directed
Learning Project'-which sounded suspiciously a lot like Homework, turned out to be
3 or 4 (wise) slackers slacking it out in an empty classroom. Was so much better off!
Choir only appeared to get worse in later years, peaking out with the always abhorrent
Vocal Jazz combo in high school.

Boys Choir



These ones always freaked me out a bit. Like what boy would willingly get involved
with this? I guess practically no boy, just the ones with especially cruel parents.


Miners/'Men of the Deeps' Choir



Nothing against these guys personally, just too gimmicky for my tastes, with the helmets
and all. Kudos that dudes with Black Lung could still belt it out though.

*ONE EXCEPTION would be the more raucous Gospel Choirs, though I have yet to ever
personally take one in, they seem like actually a good time.

3 Comments:

Blogger ghoris said...

Hey! Don't you remember when we won the Brahms Shield in Grade 1?

I seem to recall that we were also first runners-up for the Mendelssohn Shield in Grade 4...

11:39 PM  
Blogger Boothe said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKDdEWL9n4

Good Choir

2:22 PM  
Blogger YO! said...

ghoris: clearly the hangover from those early victories obliterated my memories of them

Boothe: not feeling it!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home