Thursday, February 09, 2006

match



Caught Woody Allen's Match Point earlier this week and my impression walking out was really positive. The film's a little fatty in parts-an even 2 hours probably could have done it-but otherwise seemed quite finely written, composed and acted. If there was any immediate issue, it was Scarlett Johansson(!), who as playing (and, uh, being) the only American character in the film came of recitative and awkward. But maybe that was the point? I'm not so sure, whereas the rest of the cast is very believable, it's tough to get Johansson as a struggling actress from Colorado. (seeing the Island a couple of weeks ago probably didn't help this).

The film's most defining point is (of course?) its ending, which references Crime and Punishment heavily and is largely (without giving it away) quite surprising. But what is Woody Allen trying to say by wrapping things up in the way he does? The more I think about, the more I might like it less.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I finally caught this this week too. I still don't know how I feel about either...the ending really bothered me.
I didn't think Scarlett was too bad. Not her best role, but still not bad. maybe I'm too distracted by how damn hot she is. Agreed it was way too long!

It was definitely better than The Island!

2:34 PM  
Blogger T-O-M said...

Saw it this weekend - I liked the ending actually, but found both of the main characters somewhat boring to watch...pretty disappointed with Scarlett. It would be okay if she moved her arms when she acted. Did you feel sometimes like Woody was copping a little Altman?

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home