Friday, June 10, 2005

north by northumberland

A GOOD night last night, if not a bunch of artists that I already was well familiar with.

Started the night at the Horseshoe and took in an absolutely blazing Elliott Brood set, with the house probably the most packed for these guys. Good news in that the band's work will be tied in now with Six Shooter, which itself recently landed nat'l distro. with Warner.

Fellow Winnipeg expat Luke Doucet followed, with a strong set and backing band. Doucet closed his set with a very fine cover of Springsteen's I'm On Fire.

Christine Fellows faced much more active resistance from the chatters, who pretty much were drowning out her set through the first 20 minutes we stayed there. Scooted out and ran into Bryan and other Charters, and stepped into Funhaus for a dose of hair metal from Crash Kelly. eek!

Ben and I then squeezed into the Reverb for Holy Fuck, who in my books were the pick of the night. Much more dancy than their Music Gallery performance a couple of months back, I was deeply satisfied with their Casio-heavy performance.

FRIDAY FAST PICKS

9PM
Kids on TV @ 279

10PM
The Junction @ Lee's

11PM
Inward Eye @ Reverb
Ladies & Gentlemen @ Rivoli

12AM
Frontier Index @ Drake
Mark Inside @ Shoe
Tele @ Kathedral

1AM
Novillero @ Drake
Deadly Snakes @ Gladstone

cheers.

2 Comments:

Blogger T-O-M said...

Remember how the Drake is a terrible place to hear poetry? Words all mangled by the hip din... I still enjoyed the place because that was the first time a Czech COUPLE ever hit on me (certainly not the last though).
I figured out how to change the "EDIT ME" spots on my blog so you're a link now, hope you don't mind, hope you don't mind that I wrote down these words...
Oh damn will Inward Eye and Deadly Snakes be so good or what??? Did you peep the deco film of IE's Anders?

1:48 PM  
Blogger YO! said...

I feel honoured to be your first link!

haven't seen the Anders film yet, DAMMIT.

off for some free Beck's now. yes!

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home