Tuesday, March 28, 2006

road stories III

today I've brought along my beaten-up pocket guide to help keep track of what happened when. it should straighten some things out.

so sadly, I missed the Beastie Boys speak (and later play a surprise show) on wednesday. also missed Neil Young's session with Jonathan Demme on thursday morning, which is, in a way, outrageous. there needs to be a new term for massive ground travel repurcussions, I dub thee 'car lag'.

Anyways went to a room in the Hilton on thursday afternoon for the Boompa Records showcase. thought it was going to be in some conference room. nope, just some hospitality suite with a bathtub full of cold beer. and a full PA. I've said for some time that I like the Hylozoists better in intimate confines, and it doesn't get much tighter than this:



after a quick dinner (and bumping into the bubbled Wayne Coyne) with some New York film guys in a crazy off-alley BBQ roadhouse bar, I checked in on what turned out to be the best act I saw in the festival, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Image hosting by Photobucket
Pan Bang Rock and Roll

For those clued in on Toronto's current so-called 'Bad Band' scene, They Shoot Horses provoke similar thoughts to one Dollarama, though Horses brings a Phd contrast to the Dollar's grade-school shenanigans-and there's nothing wrong with either. Horses are sort of the ultimate combination of something kind of weird, but really fun and engaging and interesting. I even got an awesome brown t-shirt out of it. yes to this.

Later San Francisco's Erase Errata brought it out like a tougher, more seasoned and shorter-haird Magneta Lane. Really talented.

Creepy Christian protestors got the party started on Sixth...


Somebody sign Jesus, already!

Their signs had fancy retration technology built in. The leader was REALLY spooky-like he would be played by Chris Cooper.

Gomez brought out the new material at Stubb's. Which like very much B&S, I appreciated seeing them for the first time ever, but didn't appreciate all the new stuff. Yes I'm a bit of an asshole this way. Or am I being reasonable?

Image hosting by Photobucket
Gomez struts the new stuff

The night ended off being driven home in a genuine texas Chevy Surburban overloaded with 1.5 Canadian bands, a label rep, and me. You can't have fun like that back home.

2 Comments:

Blogger T-O-M said...

Asshole.

9:00 PM  
Blogger T-O-M said...

Kidding!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home